|This article is about an older version of DF.|
Copper is a metal used in a large number of alloys, among them Bronze, which is almost as good as iron for smithing weapons and armor, and Brass, which has the largest value increase of all non-steel alloys. Copper itself is a common, low-value metal and a sub-par arms material- more specifically, it is the second worst metal available for slashing weapons, but is pretty good for blunt weapons.
Copper is fire-safe but not magma-safe.
- Early-game melee weapon and armor production, if you have no tin to make bronze or no iron. You will probably do best to find better metals though.
- Making bronze, which is better overall than copper for military applications.
- Training metalworking dwarves : copper is generally plentiful. This is possibly the best use for copper if you have better metals.
- Copper crossbows and copper bolts. Copper crossbows are the best crossbows if your marksdwarves are forced into melee : silver crossbows are only brought by humans and have no quality modifiers. Copper bolts are heavy enough and sharp enough to work as a good projectile, and iron/steel is generally too rare to be used in bolts. Both uses also train your weaponsmiths, which is always a good thing.
- Bins, cages, and barrels: although wooden ones are generally cheaper and lighter, copper containers are fire-safe and resistant to vermin. On maps where wood is scarce, copper can serve as a suitable substitute.
Copper may be combined with other metals at a smelter. The following is a list of recipes involving copper:
- Brass = Copper + Zinc
- Bronze = Copper + Tin
- Billon = Copper + Silver
- Fine pewter = Copper + 3x Tin
- Trifle pewter = Copper + 2x Tin
- Lay pewter = Copper + 2x Tin + Lead
- Nickel silver = Copper + 2x Nickel + Zinc
- Black bronze = 2x Copper + Silver + Gold
- Sterling silver = Copper + 3x Silver
- Rose gold = Copper + 3x Gold
- Bismuth bronze = 2x Copper + Tin + Bismuth
[INORGANIC:COPPER] [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE] [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:copper] [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten copper] [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling copper] [DISPLAY_COLOR:6:4:0] [BUILD_COLOR:6:4:0] [MATERIAL_VALUE:2] [SPEC_HEAT:385] [MELTING_POINT:11952] [BOILING_POINT:14611] [ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR] [ITEMS_HARD] [ITEMS_METAL] [ITEMS_BARRED] [ITEMS_SCALED] [SOLID_DENSITY:8930] [LIQUID_DENSITY:8020] [MOLAR_MASS:63546] [IMPACT_YIELD:245000] [IMPACT_FRACTURE:770000] [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:175] [COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:245000] [COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:770000] [COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:175] 140 [TENSILE_YIELD:70000] [TENSILE_FRACTURE:220000] [TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:58] 120 [TORSION_YIELD:70000] [TORSION_FRACTURE:220000] [TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:145] [SHEAR_YIELD:70000] [SHEAR_FRACTURE:220000] [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:145] 48 [BENDING_YIELD:70000] [BENDING_FRACTURE:220000] [BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:58] [MAX_EDGE:10000] [STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:COPPER]