- v50 information can now be added to pages in the main namespace. v0.47 information can still be found in the DF2014 namespace. See here for more details on the new versioning policy.
- Use this page to report any issues related to the migration.
|This article is about an older version of DF.|
The metalsmith's forge is a workshop used by dwarves to turn metal bars into useful objects such as weapons, armor, furniture, coins, ammunition for siege equipment and crossbows, trap components, and other finished goods. To build a forge, you must have fire-safe materials and an anvil. Every use of the forge, except for studding, consumes one unit of fuel (coke or charcoal).
Workshop labors and skills
All metallic end products are created at a metalsmith's forge, using four of the five metalsmithing skills (the exception being smelting):
- Weaponsmiths can create weapons, trap components, bolts, and ballista arrowheads
- Armorsmiths create armor
- Metal crafters create chains and "Other Objects" (crafts, coins, goblets), as well as performing studding
- Blacksmiths create anvils, blocks, and all furniture except chains
- Trappers create animal traps.
- Mechanics create mechanisms.
Cost of Items
The cost of a weapon or piece of armor in metal bars can be calculated by dividing its material size by three and rounding down, with no item costing less than one metal bar. The exception to this is some types of finished goods, which are created in different multiples from a single metal bar, depending on the skill of the Metal crafter. The table on the Melt page lists the cost of common items and their yields when melted.
Glass furnace (Magma) · Kiln (Magma) · Smelter (Magma) · Wood furnace
Clutter · Kennel · Shop · Trade depot