|This article is about an older version of DF.|
A barracks is a room designated for the purpose of housing, training, supplying and otherwise servicing your military. The barracks' options define how the room will be used by the squads in your military. A single barracks may serve multiple squads.
Barracks may be defined from a bed, cabinet, container, weapon rack, or armor stand furniture. Dig out or repurpose an appropriate space for the room, and then place relevant furniture in the room. Use uery to highlight one of the items and press oom to designate it as 'Barracks/Armory', then resize the room with / to encompass all the planned space for the room. Once you've designated a barracks, you'll notice a list of the squads in your fort in the information pane. This is where you set which squad uses the barracks, and how. To do so, press and select the barracks, then use / to highlight a squad, then select the relevant activity:
- Training - assigned squads will train here. Note that marksdwarves assigned to the barracks will train in melee, including hammering, to train their ranged skill, they require an archery range instead.
- Sleep - assigned squads will be housed here, requiring that enough beds be placed in the barracks (one for each squad member).
- Individual Eq and Squad Eq - Each dwarf in a squad will use a separate container (such as a chest, cabinet or armor stand) placed in the barracks to store their equipment. As you place them, they will be automatically assigned to each dwarf.
The location of your barracks is a matter to be considered of great importance - barracks may often be the location of where your military dwarves will be training, sleeping, or otherwise performing activities. It is important to consider where you expect your enemies (goblins, forgotten beasts, titans, etc.) to attack, such as entrances or focal points of your fortress. You may want to build your barracks relatively close to or outside of high-traffic areas, main entrances to your fortress, or chambers with traps in them. Planning ahead will allow you to react quicker to an invasion by hostile creatures and save more civilians in the process.
- Note that if a squad is scheduled to train, but lacking an assigned barracks, a dwarf's job will be marked as Soldier (no activity), leaving the squad with nothing to do.
- Civilians will not sleep in open beds within a defined barracks. If you would like them to do so, simply use one of the beds in the barracks to designate a dormitory. To create a dormitory, press , highlight a bed, press , then / until you have the size you want, then press . If your dwarves are sleeping on the floor, instead of in one of the beds, then, remember that each bed in a barracks is assigned to one of the dwarves in the squad; press highlight a bed and press , and it will tell you which dwarf was assigned to that bed.