|This article is about an older version of DF.|
Dwarves (gods, animals) can have relationships with each other. This can be viewed by looking at a dwarf's profile. Making and talking to friends gives happy thoughts while the death of a pet, friend, child or spouse gives unhappy ones.
Relationships are usually formed by spending time with another dwarf. Often, the strongest relationship are between dwarves from the same migrant wave, despite time spent with dwarves from other waves.
The following is a list of known relationships:
- Passing Acquaintance
- Long-term Acquaintance
- Spouse (see also marriage)
- Parent (see also child)
- Sibling (see also child)
Spouses can have children with each other.
A lover is like a spouse, although the pair is not married and do not share beds. Dwarves who are lovers for a long enough time will eventually get married, becoming spouses and having children. Dwarves seem to be monogamous both as married and non-married couples - if one lover dies, the other will remain single for the rest of its life.
Sibling: if a married couple happens to have multiple children, the relationships between them will be marked as "Older/Younger Sister/Brother"
- Paternal & Maternal Grandparents
Relationships between dwarves are influenced by three things:
- Identical preferences - dwarves which like the same things are much more likely to become friends or lovers (+100 compatibility per match).
- Similar skills (excluding social skills) - dwarves who do the same jobs are much more likely to become friends or lovers (+100 compatibility per match).
- Personality traits - dwarves who have similar values in specific traits (noted on the linked article) are more likely to become friends or lovers, while ones who have differing views are more likely to form grudges. Specifically, each trait which is greater than 60 or less than 40 in both dwarves will improve compatibility (+N compatibility by difference), while traits which are greater than 60 in one dwarf and less than 40 in the other will decrease compatibility (-N compatibility per difference).
Dwarves with a compatibility greater than 100-150 (depending on the duration of the relationship) can become lovers, greater than 75 will become friends, and less than -75 will result in a grudge.